HELLER solutions at KSB
50% shorter machining time to produce fittings
The goal of KSB AG was to achieve a reduction in machining times. Considering the annual output of approx. 40,000 valve bodies, it required a highly productive and flexible concept to achieve this goal. The exchangeable out-facing head on the HELLER machining centre model MCH 280 provided the solution. In addition to savings in machining time, it also allowed to achieve a significant reduction in set-up times.
- drastically reduced working time alongside higher process reliability for fitting production
- universal machining centre that offers sufficient stability for machining grey cast iron and ferrous metal castings
Project scope & solution
- the MCH 280 from HELLER with programmable U-axis and interchangeable facing heads
- integrated facing slide attachment with direct drive in the machine
- gear unit upgrade to 60 kW, required in particular for rolling
- the MCH 280 is able to machine sealing flanges with just one cutting edge, which saves an enormous amount of time
- the MCH 280 makes easy work of machining turning grooves, thanks to the freely programmable feed and facing slide attachment
- facing slide for precise definition of the machining point on the cutting edge
- no collision contour, as the facing slide is coupled through the spindle centre
- time required for the machining process reduced by 50% and faster setting, since one machine now handles all the tasks that previously required two machines
Head of Fitting Production at KSB
„[...] For us as machine builders, however, the solution where the shaft goes through the spindle centre by means of a coupling unit, in other words via the tool fixture, was the safe bet. And this is important because we need a resilient machine that delivers the required level of process reliability."