HELLER solutions at CastAlum
Turnkey solution with optimum price/performance ratio
Based in Welshpool, CastAlum is one of the largest aluminium die casting operations in Great Britain. In the search for a turnkey solution with optimum price/performance ratio, HELLER H-series 4-axis machining centres prevailed.
- production facilities have to be able to machine all manner of steering gears and gear housings to achieve a total production volume of 700,000 cast parts/year in two operations, and this hinges on the production facility having the flexibility required
- optimum price/performance ratio
- local, highly reputable customer service
Project scope & solution
- use of ten H 2000 4-axis machining centres
- cranes located between the individual machine pairs facilitate fast fixture changeover
- the cast parts mounted on the workpiece carriers are transported from the foundry on a long, U-shaped EWAB chain conveyor arranged along the machining centres
- Machining centres can be installed in several expansions stages. This allows adjustments to accommodate increasing batch sizes and trouble-free changeover for producing any new workpieces
- HELLER H-series 4-axis machining centres offer outstanding reliability, precision and repeatability
- lean production environment with very low footprint
- average machining centre availability of 95 percent achieved by minimizing changeover times
- tolerances respected to within 10 micrometers
- process capability of Cpk 1.67
Head of Mechanical Manufacturing at Komax
"If you have to deal with 30 pallets containing, at times, up to 50 different clamping points per clamping cube, you need the right tools in the magazine to avoid having to constantly change the tool sets. Our tool count currently stands at 409. Comparable or smaller machines simply do not achieve capacities such as these."
Managing Director at Franz Haas Waffelmaschinen
"HELLER has exceeded our expectations. Everything went well, the machines run extremely reliably and our throughput times have also measurably reduced."
Managing Director at H.P. Kaysser
"Our experience with HELLER, including Service, has been nothing must positive. We speak the same language, so there was simply no reason to change supplier. The entire team has now identified with the HELLER machining centres – because they deliver what HELLER promises!"
Head of Manufacturing and Production Engineering at Bitzer
"For batch sizes of up to 3 components, the machining centres have to perform reliably as soon as they are switched on, even after scheduled shutdowns. But neither availability nor the required precision presented a major challenge to the H 6000."
Head of Production at Engel Austria
"We consider quality to be fundamental. The tolerances for our core components are between two and three hundredths of a millimetre. That's why we made the conscious decision to go for HELLER machines, which are renowned for their stability."
Project Manager at Fette Compacting
"Key contributors to these massive savings are fewer setups thanks to the 5th axis and higher achievable cutting parameters. On the other hand, however, it was the overall package, including the automation system and new tool technologies, that was able to optimise the processes in this way".
Sales & Services
Do you have questions about our products and services? Please get in touch with us, we are here for you! Benefit from our global HELLER network with knowledgeable sales and service contacts located in your region.
Find your nearest personal contact.
No results could be found.
The HELLER Newsletter provides you with information about all current topics concerning our company, our products and services as well as upcoming trade shows and events. Register now to make sure you never miss any news from the HELLER Group!